Summer has been a bit slow as many of us are away on vacation or having babies (Congratulations Eranthie!!), but we had a great meeting last week and celebrated our first victory.
Step 1 in our master composting plan is complete! Based on the conversation we had with the Chittenden County Solid Waste Department, they have assigned an intern to the Winooski Farmer’s Market to hand out composting literature and free buckets. Now we’re trying to get a quote from a hauling company to ascertain what it would cost to have a toter available at the Farmer’s Market to collect food scraps that shoppers bring with them. Once we have this information we can apply for a NEGEF grant.
1. Senior Center: We are trying to coordinate an energy seminar that will tie into a tech education event or a Senior Club dinner.
2. How do you use your smart energy device: We’re reaching out to Green Mountain Power to see if we can get information/support for them on this seminar idea.
1. Speaking with Game Theory for ideas on how to incentivize landlords to conduct energy audits – and make improvements to – their rental properties.
2. Reaching out to Vermont Gas to see if we can track # of audits. If this number is accessible we can track it as a way to measure success of the WEC.
1. Button Up Vermont – brainstorming how to help drive the success of this initiative.
2. Winooski Public School – VEEP has confirmed that they do not have a presence there but that one teacher has reached out and expressed interest in engaging with VEEP. We are attempting to connect with this teacher.
The Next Meeting of the Winooski Energy Committee will be on Sunday, August 30 from 1-2 PM at 60 Winooski Falls Way. One of our members lives there and has reserved their Events Room for us. A WEC member will be at the door to let members in to the space. Please feel free to bring in food and drinks from the Farmers Market.